Gnats in your home can be a giant inconvenience and annoyance. It seems like they get there all at once, and even when you think you’ve found the source of the problem, it can be difficult to get rid of gnats quickly. Fortunately, our technicians at Rentokil, formerly Oliver Exterminating, are ready to help you out.
If you’re in the middle of a gnat infestation that just won’t quit, give us a call. We’ve seen it all, and we have developed the experience necessary to quickly identify the source of your infestation, get rid of all of the gnats in your house, and teach you how to prevent them from coming back!
Do I Have Gnats?
Fungus gnats are the most common kind of gnats that we deal with here in San Juan PR. It can be hard for the untrained eye to tell them apart from other flies, but here are some features that you can identify them by:
- Adult fungus gnats have slender bodies that reach about 1/8” in length.
- Their bodies are black on top with tannish-grey underbellies and legs.
- Their larvae are tiny and white with little black heads. Fungus gnats often lay their eggs in potted plants and other moist areas.
Because fungus gnats look for moist areas to stake their breeding grounds, it is important to know how to eliminate excess moisture in your home and keep watch for gnats.
DIY Gnat Control
If you can’t figure out how to get rid of the gnats in your home, read on for our top tips. One if not all of these strategies should help you to reduce or entirely wipe out your population of fungus gnats:
- Locate the breeding site and apply an EPA-approved insecticide
- Use fly baits to attract the gnats. Sugar-coated baits lure in all sorts of small flies with promises of a food source.
- Try a light trap to draw the gnats to a location outside of your home.
- Cover the soil that your houseplants are potted in with a layer of sand or gravel.
Professional Help with Gnats in San Juan PR
If none of these strategies work to get rid of gnats in your home, you might be dealing with a severe gnat infestation. In this case, contact your local pest control company. At Rentokil, formerly Oliver Exterminating, we train our gnat and fly experts to use safe and effective strategies to wipe out gnat infestations with great efficiency. Don’t wait to get rid of gnats in your home—contact us today for a free quote!