When it comes to dealing with pests in your home, one of the biggest nuisances are rodents. Just the sight of a mouse or rat running across your floor—or the sound of one tip-toeing around somewhere—can be enough to give you chills. Nobody wants to have rodents living in their house!
However, rodents are more than just a nuisance. They can cause all kinds of problems for both your home and your family, which is why you’ll want to schedule a vermin control service to inspect your home if you see any signs of rodents. The following are some of the problems that rodents can cause:
- They leave behind droppings and urine. Both mice and rats will leave behind their droppings and urine throughout your house, both of which are unsanitary and will require you to clean up after them. Additionally, they may urinate or defecate on your rugs or furniture, which can leave stains that may be difficult to remove.
- They can get into your trash and food. Rodents will go through any trash they can access, leaving a mess for you to clean up. They will also go through any food that’s left out, such as your dry foods, which means you’ll have to throw them away.
- They can bite or scratch you. If you try to capture a rat or a mouse with your bare hands, it will attack in defense. This means that children or pets could be injured in a confrontation with a rodent.
- They can carry diseases. One of the biggest health risks that rodents present is that they can carry and spread various diseases, some of which can be fatal. Rodents are known to carry both bacterial and viral diseases, such as hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, leptospirosis, rat-bite fever, and salmonellosis. These diseases can be spread in a number of ways, including from scratches and bites and contact with their droppings or urine. This is especially dangerous for children and pets, who could ingest the droppings or urine that they find. Additionally, rodents can indirectly transmit diseases, including cutaneous leishmaniasis and plague.
- They can chew through furniture. Both mice and rats can gnaw and claw your wood and upholstered furniture. This can wreck your furniture, requiring costly repairs or even replacement.
- They can chew through insulation. Rats and mice will chew through the insulation in your home and will often build their nests within the insulation as well. When your insulation is damaged like this, your home is less efficient. As a result, your monthly energy costs could go up.
- They can chew through electrical wires. One of the most dangerous problems caused by rodents is that they can chew through electrical wires. This not only damages electrical appliances and devices, which could be costly to fix or replace, but also poses a serious safety hazard. When rodents chew through electrical wires, there’s an increased chance that those damaged wires could short, causing an electrical fire.
These are some of the problems that rodents can cause. Because of this, you’ll want to get a vermin control service over to your house as soon as possible if you think that you might have a rodent problem. To schedule our vermin control service, be sure to contact us at Oliver Exterminating today.
Risks That Rodents Pose to Your Home in Puerto Rico in Puerto Rico
Serving San Juan | Ponce | Mayaguez | Vieques | Culebra