Spiders are a common occurrence all year long here in Puerto Rico. However, spider populations are at their largest in the fall months, which is why you may be seeing more in your home right now! Spiders hatch in the springtime. By the time August and September rolls around, spiders are in full force. Thankfully, most house spiders are harmless. That said, there are two in particular that you need to be on the lookout for: the black widow and the brown recluse. Keep reading for expert info on dangerous fall spiders in Puerto Rico.
Brown Recluse Spiders & Black Widows
Although rare, both of these spiders can bite when they leave threatened. Their bites can be very dangerous. Here’s what to know about these two spiders to be on the lookout for:
- Black widow spiders
- These spiders have a characteristic red hourglass shape on its body.
- They build sticky, tangled cobwebs in garages, sheds, and near the ground.
- They can bite when they feel threatened.
- Brown recluse spiders
- Brown recluse spiders have a darker brown violin shape on their brown bodies.
- They build loose, dome-shaped webs for shelter.
- A brown recluse bite is known to be very painful.
Preventing Spiders in the Home
In order to keep these eight-legged creatures outside, there are several things you can do to make your property less attractive to them:
- Regularly maintain your lawn and yard. An unkempt yard with overgrown vegetation will invite all types of spiders to your property.
- Clean and tidy up your space. Doing so can prevent insects that spiders like to prey on and eliminate hiding spots for pests.
- Seal any cracks and crevices. Spiders and other pests can crawl inside through the smallest of holes.
- Install screens on your doors and windows. Otherwise, an open window will surely invite spiders (and other pests) inside.
What to Do About Fall Spiders
If you’ve done all you can to prevent spiders this fall and still notice them popping up in your property, it may be time to enlist the help of a professional exterminator. At Oliver Exterminating, our spider pest control pros can help protect you from spiders in Puerto Rico year-round. Contact us today to learn more.
Dangerous Fall Spiders in Puerto Rico in Puerto Rico
Serving San Juan | Ponce | Mayaguez | Vieques | Culebra