Worried about the colder months ahead? Seasonal pest infestations spike this time of year as insects and rodents alike start to make their way indoors in preparation for colder weather. Once inside, these pests will gladly settle in and enjoy the endless sources of food, water, and shelter that your Puerto Rico home provides. The last thing you want to deal with in the months ahead are pests inside your property. This is why fall pest-proofing is so important to protect your home. Keep reading for Rentokil, formerly Oliver Exterminating’s best tips for protecting your home from pests this fall and winter.
Top Tips to Pest-Proof Your Home This Fall
Some of the most common pests we deal with this time of year include cockroaches, rodents, and spiders, among others. The best way to keep them outside where they belong is to implement pest exclusion tactics. Our best pest-proofing tips for fall include:
- Ensure your basements, attics, and crawl spaces are well ventilated and dry. Pests and insects love moisture. Consider using a dehumidifier in moisture-filled areas.
- Store all firewood at least 20 feet away from your home and keep your yard clean and tidy. Trim back trees and shrubs that are too close to the home.
- Thoroughly inspect items before bringing them indoors. This includes boxes of your seasonal decorations, grocery bags, package deliveries, and more. The last thing you want is to carry pests inside.
- Consider replacing your weather-stripping. Also repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows. These are easy ways to keep not only pests, but also cold air out of the house.
- Promptly pick up your pets’ food dishes after they’re done eating. Pet food left out on the floor, in the garage, or even outdoors is an easy target for insects and rodents alike.
- Install door sweeps and repair damaged screens. Torn window screens and cracks under doors are an ideal entry point for household pests. Opening a window without a screen is a sure way to invite the pests right in.
- Make sure your drainage system is functioning properly. Install gutters or repair your existing system to help draw water away from the home. Quickly fix or replace any leaky pipes contributing to moisture issues inside.
- Install screens wherever there is an opening in your property: attic vents, chimney openings, mail slots, animal doors, and more.
- Seal any cracks or crevices using caulk and steel wool on the perimeter of your property. Pay special attention to areas where utility pipes enter.
- Clean your home on a regular basis. Wipe down your kitchen counters, store food in sealed containers, and use a trash can with a tight-fitting lid. Crumbs and accessible garbage will draw pests of all types.
Seasonal Pest Control Services in Puerto Rico
At Rentokil, we know how distressing a pest problem can be any time of the year. Because they are more likely to come inside during the fall and winter, contact our home exterminators now to see how we can help safeguard your home.
Best Pest-Proofing Tips For Fall in Puerto Rico
Serving San Juan | Ponce | Mayaguez | Vieques | Culebra