Pantry pests are a common pest problem in Puerto Rico. Many people have experienced it: they open their cupboards only to be horrified by the sight of hundreds of tiny bugs! Pantry pests are attracted to a number of flours and grains. When these are left unopened in your cupboard for a long period of time, you may be surprised to find a pantry pest problem. There are several things you can do to keep pantry pests out. Read on to learn more.
What are Pantry Pests?
There are several bugs considered to be pantry pests. Some of them include flour beetles, ants, earwigs, and pillbugs. The most common types of pantry pests are the Indianmeal moth and the merchant grain beetle. These items they will infest include flour, sugar, cake mixes, open cereal boxes, powdered milk, and more! Some of the many insects will look for food sources around which they can build nests and mate. When you have a serious infestation, you may notice multiple stages of life for these bugs, from their eggs to adult pests.
Prevent Pantry Pests With These Tips
Pantry pests aren’t necessarily the most dangerous type of pest, but they’re still gross! No one wants to deal with a pantry pest invasion. For that reason, it’s important to learn how to prevent them. Our tips to prevent pantry pests include:
- Securely storing dry goods: To keep pests out, always store food and baking ingredients in airtight containers.
- Properly storing seasonal items: Dried foliage, Indian corn, and other seasonal items should be kept in sealed containers while not in use throughout the year.
- Placing bay leaves in containers: Sticking a bay leaf inside canisters of dry goods like flour, rice, and other grains. May help to repel pests.
- Inspecting your groceries: At the grocery store and before bringing them indoors, check your purchased goods for any signs of damage or use.
- Checking the date: Before you use your ingredients from a year or two ago, make sure to check the expiration date and toss any expired items.
- Keeping a clean kitchen: Always wipe up spills or messes to avoid attracting pests, and clean out your pantry regularly.
Need Help With Pantry Pests?
If you’ve done all you can to prevent pantry pests and still end up with an infestation, it’s important to act quickly. Remove all infested items and quickly dispose of them. Clean out your cupboards before returning items. If you need help with your pantry pest problem, the team at Oliver Exterminating is here to help!
6 Tips to Prevent Pantry Pests in Puerto Rico
Serving San Juan | Ponce | Mayaguez | Vieques | Culebra